Is a Facelift Right For You?
Our faces are one of our most important assets - after all, they’re one of the qualities that make us each unique. A facelift can help ensure that the feature we display most prominently every day is one that we feel confident about - and one that reflects who we are on the inside. If you’re an Orange County resident considering a facelift, these tips from Dr. William G. Cohen can help you determine whether you’re a strong candidate for plastic surgery.
What Does a Facelift Treat?
When people think of facelifts, they often think of complete facial rejuvenation. Facelifts can certainly deliver dramatic, youthful results by treating:
- Loose skin around your neck or jaw (“jowling”)
- Lines from your mouth to your chin (“marionette lines”)
- Hollowing beneath your eyes
- Frown lines
- Creases between your nose and mouth (“nasolabial folds”)
- Loose skin beneath your chin
If you are seeking long-term treatment for any of the conditions listed above, you may be a good candidate for a facelift. However, if wrinkles are your primary concern, you may be interested in alternative treatments such as BOTOX® or dermal filler injections or laser skincare.
Are You an Ideal Candidate?
When you consult a plastic surgeon, it’s important to be honest about your health and medical history, as these factors can impact the success of any cosmetic procedure. You can expect questions to include:
- Are you comfortable with your weight? Facelifts are ideal for people who don’t plan on losing - or gaining - significant amounts of weight after their procedures. Because your weight affects the appearance and contours of your face, having a stable weight prior to your facelift procedure ensures that your surgeon can deliver the best results.
- Are you seeking long-term results? While the answer may seem obvious, it’s important to determine whether you’re seeking a treatment with lasting effects. People more comfortable with temporary results may find options such as dermal fillers more suitable.
- Are you in good health? Because any health conditions or long-term medications can affect the success of your surgery, it’s important to disclose information about your overall wellbeing. This extends beyond just physical health - your plastic surgeon will need to determine that you’re psychologically healthy as well.
- Do you smoke? It may seem like a minor detail, but generally people who don’t smoke are better candidates for surgery. Either way, you will be asked to abstain from smoking for a period before and after your facelift procedure.
- How much elasticity does your skin have? Facelifts are ideal for people whose faces show signs of aging - such as wrinkles, creases, and excess skin - but still have some elasticity. For this reason, good facelift candidates are generally between 40 and 70 years of age.
- Are your expectations realistic? A facelift procedure can offer dramatic results, improving the contours of your face and making you appear more youthful. However, it cannot reverse the effects of aging altogether, or change your underlying bone structure.
Find Out Whether You’re a Good Candidate
The best way to determine whether a facelift is right for you is to consult a skilled cosmetic surgeon. Schedule a consultation today by contacting Dr. William C. Cohen at The Skin Center.