Liposuction for the Abdomen
In the field of plastic surgery, liposuction is one of the most common body contouring procedures. This treatment eliminates stubborn areas of fat for smoother, more attractive contours.
Among both men and women, the abdomen is the most common area to be treated with liposuction. Here, our team at The Skin Center in Orange County, CA discusses liposuction for the abdomen and explains what patients can expect during and after the procedure.
How Is Abdominal Liposuction Performed?
At our practice, Dr. William Cohen uses only the safest surgical procedures. That is why he performs tumescent liposuction instead of traditional liposuction.
During this procedure, he administers a combination of lidocaine and epinephrine. This anesthetic solution numbs the tissues and causes targeted areas of fat to plump up for easier removal.
Once the solution has been administered, Dr. Cohen makes tiny incisions around the treatment area. Next, a slender tube called a cannula is inserted through the incisions.
This device is moved back and forth to help break up fat cells, which are then suctioned away by a special surgical vacuum. Once the targeted area has been sculpted, Dr. Cohen closes the incisions with sutures.
Exploring Candidacy: Factors to Consider
As with all body contouring procedures, abdominal liposuction is intended for patients who are close to their goal weight. Liposuction helps shape and contour the body; it is not meant for weight loss.
There are other factors to consider as well. Some of these include:
- Location of abdominal fat: There are two types of abdominal fat: superficial and deep. Liposuction is ideal for removing pockets of superficial fat. If you have deep intestinal fat, you are probably not eligible for abdominal liposuction.
- History of obesity: If you were previously obese and lost a significant amount of weight, the remaining fat may be more fibrous. This can make liposuction difficult.
- Previous pregnancy: During pregnancy, the abdominal muscles are stretched. While the majority of patients achieve their desired results through liposuction, some women may require abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).
- C-section bulge: Many women who undergo Cesarean sections or hysterectomies develop a persistent pocket of fat just above the incision line. Liposuction can eliminate this in many cases.
- Age: Fortunately, there is no upper age limit for liposuction. In fact, many of our patients are over 60 years old, and have enjoyed their results for many years.
- Gender: Men and women can undergo liposuction. However, female patients have less fibrous, softer fat compared to males. Therefore, the procedure is easier to perform on women.
Personalized Treatment for Optimal Results
Dr. Cohen takes time to understand the unique concerns of each patient and designs a personalized treatment plan to meet those needs. Liposuction is an art form; when performed properly, it can effectively sculpt the body for dramatic, beautiful results.
Contact The Skin Center Today
Have you tried to reduce stubborn abdominal fat through diet and exercise? If so, liposuction could be a viable treatment option for you. To explore your candidacy and treatment options, schedule an appointment with Dr. Cohen. Call our office at (714) 628-1313 or contact us online anytime.