Recovering from Neck Lift Surgery
By Dr. William Cohen on October 03, 2016
Many people have experienced the cosmetic effects that aging has on the body. As we age, the skin loses elasticity and, as a result, it begins to droop. In addition, many patients also notice the development of fine lines and wrinkles. These common signs of aging may affect the face or the neck. Neck lift surgery tightens the skin of the neck to produce a more youthful and refreshed appearance. In many cases, a neck lift is a great alternative or complement to facelift surgery. Here, Dr. William C. Cohen discusses the typical neck lift recovery timeline so our Orange County, CA patients know what to expect after treatment.
How Long Will Recovery Last?
Neck lift surgery recovery is fairly short. It usually takes between four and six weeks for patients to heal from the procedure. However, most patients feel well enough to resume work and other routine activities within a week or two after treatment.
Neck Lift Side Effects
Before choosing to undergo neck lift surgery, it is important that patients have a clear understanding of what will take place during and after the procedure. Neck lift surgery is a low-risk procedure that has a high rate of success and patient satisfaction. However, as with all surgical procedures, treatment will result in some side effects.
- Discomfort: Most patients report minimal discomfort following neck lift surgery. Still, patients will be prescribed pain medication following the procedure. This medication can be used as directed to control any pain that may develop.
- Swelling: Swelling is a natural reaction following neck lift surgery. The skin around the neck and lower face is likely to appear significantly swollen. It may take several weeks for the swelling to subside. Patients can used cold compresses and ice packs to help minimize swelling during recovery.
- Bruising: Along with swelling, it is normal for the skin around the chin and neck to be bruised. These bruises will fade over time. After the first week of recovery, any remaining bruises should be light enough that they can be concealed with make-up.
We want all of our patients to benefit from a smooth and easy neck lift recovery. By practicing the following tips, patients can maximize comfort and minimize the risk of complications during their recovery period:
- Arrange to have a friend or family member assist with post-surgical care for at least the first 24 hours after surgery
- Wear bandages or compression garments as instructed by Dr. Cohen
- Schedule appropriate follow-up care
- Get plenty of rest
- Keep the head slightly elevated when sleeping or resting
- Drink lots of fluids
- Avoid strenuous activities for at least four weeks after surgery
Schedule an Appointment
A neck lift is an excellent option for patients who want to smooth and tighten loose, saggy skin around the neck. If you’d like to learn more about this plastic surgery procedure and whether it can help you achieve your aesthetic goals, schedule an appointment with Dr. William C. Cohen at your earliest convenience.
Related to This
“I honestly can’t say enough good things about Dr. Cohen. First and foremost I never have to wait long which is a huge plus, he is straightforward in a good way, he is very personable which you don’t find too much anymore with doctors. And of course when you're an awesome Doc you have an awesome front and back office crew.” Cheri O.