Patients who suffer from rosacea may not always be aware that they are experiencing the condition. If you have redness or visible blood vessels on the nose, chin, cheeks, or forehead, you may be suffering from rosacea. At Dr. William C. Cohen’s Orange County plastic surgery practice, we offer treatment to reduce or eliminate the signs of rosacea.
Causes and Symptoms of Rosacea
The cause of rosacea is unknown, but there are theories that it may be a sign of a more general blood vessel disorder. Other theories suggest that rosacea is caused by microscopic skin mites, fungus, or a malfunction of the connective tissue under the skin. While the exact cause remains unknown, there are factors that may put a person at higher risk for developing rosacea. People with fair skin, those who blush easily, and women are more likely to develop rosacea. While more women have this condition, men who have rosacea are likely to have severe cases of the condition. The appearance of rosacea will vary from patient to patient. In most cases, one or more of the following symptoms will be present:
- Flushing or frequent blushing
- Persistent redness
- Bumps or pimples, sometimes pus-filled
- Visible blood vessels
- Dry, rough skin
- Raised red patches of skin
- Thickening or swelling skin
These symptoms are most likely to be present on the face but they may spread to the neck, chest, or ears as well. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, Dr. Cohen can examine your skin to determine if rosacea is present and recommend a treatment.
While there is no cure for rosacea, there is treatment available to control or reverse the signs and symptoms of rosacea. Some of the treatments available include:
- Medication:Sometimes doctors prescribe oral or topical medication to treat the bumps, pimples, or redness associated with rosacea.
- Surgery:Surgical procedures can be performed to remove visible blood vessels and reduce the amount of extensive redness on the face.
- Laser Skin Treatment:Dr. Cohen offers his patients in Orange County laser skin treatment to reduce or eliminate the signs of rosacea. Photofacialâ„ IPL™ is one of the laser treatments we offer at our practice. This treatment uses intense pulsed light to treat pigments and reduce the appearance of veins. The treatment is particularly successful in reducing the redness of rosacea. Another laser treatment is Syneron elÅs™. This procedure uses the power of radiofrequency and laser light energy to even skin tone and reduce the signs of rosacea. Both of these laser skin treatments are done on an outpatient basis and involve little to no recovery time.
Schedule a Consultation
If you believe you are suffering from rosacea, it is important to realize that you do not have to live with the embarrassment or discomfort that this condition can cause. Schedule a free consultation with Dr. William C. Cohen to determine if you are suffering from rosacea and discuss the treatment options that are available.